Monday, March 20, 2017

Quilting | I Cut Up Your Grandmother's Quilt

My Husbands Grandmother had an estate auction. His grandmother had made dozens of quilts over the course of her years and everyone in the family has one.

I, joining the family at this late stage of her life did not have one, but I valued her craft immensely.


What was a girl to do? But get my hands on anyone I could.


I bought a crib sized quilt from that auction, it was made up of pink and miscellaneous scrap pieces.


The pieces were 3 1/2 by 5 1/2  pieces. It had a chunky cute look, but it was unfunctional to me.


So, I cut up your grandmother's quilt. (gasp!)





This picture is the quilt after I cut lengthways down the strips. It resulted in 1 1/2  by 5 1/2 rectangles which I love!


I dug through my stash and pulled out all of my scraps then, I cut, and cut, and cut 1 1/2 rectangles. I think I cut for as much time as I sewed and ironed totaled.

This past weekend in March the littlest son and his father went to the cabin without me and I sewed and I sewed, I didn't leave that sewing room (AKA the dining room. lol) It was AWESOME!


I still have the borders, quilting and back to do so I am not calling this finished. I am linking this with moving it forward Monday, Lets Bee Social and Oh Scrap! 
Ems-scrapbagQuilting is more fun than HouseworkSew Fresh Quilts
Happy Monday my friends and stay scrappy and feisty if that is what you need. 
Sarah 


22 comments:

  1. What a great quilt! I'm sure Grandmother would approve. Who else in the family can say they have a quilt that they made with her. Can't wait to see the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, I didn't think of it like that! I love that idea. I always love seeing her when we visit. She is 90 years old and just amazing! she is lovely to chat with and is very kind.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea to modify the quilt so it can be used and loved. I am a big believer in a quilt fulfilling it's destiny to be cuddled and cherished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, I cant wait for this quilt to be used! I think that would be the largest form of gratification; to see the quilt in action being used and loved! haha, now i know why it is quick, pull out the (insert item) that so and so gave us, they will be here in 15 minutes. Im OK with that now. As a child I used to be so against that type of stuff. (I am kinder now... mostly. lol)

      Delete
  3. So much scrappy goodness in that quilt. It is good it is getting finished so it can be loved. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia, I am super addicted to scraps! Even if they take me forever to cut, but maybe one day some sort of template cutter may make its way into my life... who knows :)

      Delete
  4. Wonderful idea! At least it's going to be used & loved now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took a lot of courage to cut that quilt. Taking it apart was ok because I sort of passed it off like I was investigating her process.... but once it was apart I just jumped.

      Delete
  5. Love this and as a result of your cutting it will be used and loved for many more years to come!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, while I was talking about starting another quilt this morning my husband asked where one for him was. I told him that his was the I Cut Up Your Grandmothers Quilt. He only thought I was slightly funny.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! I really hoped I would too. You know how it goes. try your best and hope it pleases the creative eye in the end.

      Delete
  7. This is so pretty! I am loving all that beautiful color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, Thanks! I love your quilts at Whitecloudstichery. I love that you are investigating your style! I have yet to find mine :) Im a still a newbee :)

      Delete
  8. How lovely that you have taken this quilt and made it your own!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I cant wait to get it quilted and on the couch or car, or wherever it ends up! (but it will always stay with us)

      Delete
  9. Love the color, I think Grandma would approve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, It is not my usual colors! I think that is the beauty of upcycling something ; trying to make something that doesn't quite work for you in its form and making more to our liking? I feel a weird philosophical discussion stemming from this that this Alice is not following down the rabbit hole! yikes lol.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Char, It is very pinky.... but it turned out aaaalright so far.

      Delete
  11. Sarah, love the story behind this one! And like Rose said, I'm sure grandmother would approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwwe. I think so. I am going to get my mother in law to show her a picture in the home.

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me messages. I have been replying to ya'll on the blog and I am pretty sure the blog doesn't send you the reply. I will be starting to reply from my gmail as of now. I look forward to chatting with you all soon. If you would rather send me an email I am at sarahsbusy@gmail.com