Friday, February 16, 2018

Quilting | Grannies Around the World

I made this quilt for my mom for Christmas. I have started many things for family members and not always gotten them finished. This one I crammed until Christmas Eve!

This is the first time I have tried anything fancy for a quilting motif. It is not an all over design and the batting is fairly puffy so I didn't want to quilt too dense. This quilt is wondrously heavy and snuggly at the same time. :) 




I was laughing with a new friend I made at my first quilt guild meeting, about being so bone tired and bleary-eyed trying to meet a deadline and how we keep going. Perseverance my friends, that is the stuff that quilters are made of.


My mom  helped me choose the sashing fabric and the widths for this quilt. I spent a lot of my childhood in my mom's sewing room playing with scraps of fabric and rummaging and admiring her stash.

I am pretty grateful to of had that experience and I will always cherish the 70's inspired fabrics and caftans that I subsequently stole and ruined as a teenager.


I owe my mom some crochet shawls too that I wore everywhere as an "outspoken fashion plate teen" I used to wear the craziest of stuff!


Where are all the freaks? Where are all my fearless brothers and sisters?






No matter; I am tamer but still not trusted to dress myself to "fit in" I do get the "you are wearing that?" or the "you cant come with me if you are wearing that!".

I think that shall be my new aim. more of that.




Here is a song that really perked me up today on CBC Radio Two this morning. I am going to try and keep this jive mojo through the day to inspire me.








Until next time friends, stay fearless.



Sarah




Linking to the following linky parties that are super fun!

Finish it up Friday    and:

Finished or Not Friday at Busy Hands QuiltsConfessions Of A Fabric Addict


6 comments:

  1. Love the quilt you made for your mom. The quilting on it is amazing. I also have started and not finished many projects for family members. Thanks so much for the song and video. It made me happy . I've been having some strange interactions with some people in my life lately that have worn me down and I have had to be quite brave in dealing with them. So I'm with you. Be brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. Thank you for the complement on the quilting! I understand how hard it is to be brave sometimes. To stand out and stand up for our selves and our values. The strongest people I know are most often the kindest hearted people I know (mom). Take solace in lovely people and wonderful music. You got this girl!

      Delete
  2. Lovely finish, Sarah!! You did such a nice job on the quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I really enjoyed choosing the motifs for it!

      Delete
  3. Another lovely snuggly quilt, and great colour combo. I have a widely creative family, it's just that we all use different art forms, and the 'artists' don't seem to want/like quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working my way through a donated stash, so I am using so many pieces that I would not typically have access to. I trade a lot of my quilts on Simbi to other artists that love quilts. It is pretty rewarding :) (your family doesn't know what they are missing my friend) your quilts are world class. <3

      Delete

Thank you for leaving me messages. I have been replying to ya'll on the blog and I am pretty sure the blog doesn't send you the reply. I will be starting to reply from my gmail as of now. I look forward to chatting with you all soon. If you would rather send me an email I am at sarahsbusy@gmail.com