Friday, March 16, 2018

Quilting | #30quiltdesignchallenge2018


Hi Everyone, I have been busy participating in the design challenge hosted on Instagram by Sandra at mmmquilts. 

This challenge is harder than I thought!  The challenge is to create 30 quilt designs in 90 days. It doesn't sound too bad right.


Here are my quilt designs 1-16 from the challenge.





I have learned so much about my style, pattern tools, color, not to mention the techniques that will be used to put together the quilt. I am a fairly new quilter 3 years? but I have been sewing since I was really little.


I am still trying to find my own style of quilting so, I tried using quilting apps for the pictures below that I call Double Irish Granny and Ohio Grannies, perhaps the name indicates how I felt about these patterns. lol. 




I have started making some of the designs. one of them I designed for a commission and the other I am making for a challenge. You could say that the need to create a particular quilt drives the quilt design. 

      

Because I wasn't enjoying the process of designing on the quilting apps I tried drawing a tile and using a collage maker to rotate and repeat the tiles to make the above and below patterns. I really enjoyed this process because It allowed me to use the Low Fi pen and paper coupled with the High Fi computer technology. 

      


I only have 15 more days for 14 more designs by April 30th. I know that by then I am going to wonder and perhaps hope that the deadline was an April Fools Day joke...


Wish me luck and let me know which one you like the best! and until next time friends, stay curious



Sarah 
If you want to follow my progress on Instagram here is the link

Linking with Off the Wall Friday 
Finish it up Friday @ Crazy Mom Quilts 
Finished or not Friday @ Busy Hands Quilts 








24 comments:

  1. Wow 30 designs in 90 days sounds daunting and stressful!! But I'm loving what you've shown so far, particularly the ones that incorporate the NYB blocks, bit of a personal fave of mine. I really like the 5th drawing as it reminds me of the sun rising and setting over a city....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi One Wee Bird. oh gosh I didn't even think about what I was getting myself into. lol The challenge is pushing me to take a stab at what is interesting me lately and go for it. I just discovered NY beauty paper peicing! I love it too. so addicting! awwe. thank you for the complement on design five. it was inspired by a graphic designer Rebecca Blair http://rebeccablairart.tumblr.com/

      Delete
  2. Sounds stressful to me...I would end up staring at the blank paper and pencil! You've come up with some clever designs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paige, sometimes I do stare at the page... then I go to my pinspiration board. lol. I have been trying to do a junk food quilt that has not been coming out right... I am pretty stubborn and that works for me sometimes. you have just created a tonne of patterns for a book! that sounds super intimidating to me. <3

      Delete
  3. I found it quite stressful last year. I've noticed you've really picked up the pace lately and I love the dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa. I really want to complete the challenge. Thanks for noticing my hard work! :D I am finding the more pressure and the faster I go the less creative they are. Thanks for the complement on the Dog :)

      Delete
  4. This is great fun! I love what you are doing. I have done a few and need to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathleen! It is pretty fun, it is giving me a push to get the designs that have been sitting in my super secret quilting inspiration board for years. I find inspiration from non quilt things and try and think what I would like to see on my bed or couch. Good luck, have fun and see you out there!

      Delete
  5. This looks like a lot of work! The good news is that through all of this hard work, you will find what your style really is! I love the dog and all the colors in the design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your wolf! I think you should have showed your photo of the lady's skirt you have started- unbelievable! Don't you find that if you get in the habit of sitting down to draw (or ahem 'play'-- read sometimes fight with--a digital format like EQ of Quiltgraphy, it gets easier and easier and your brain starts designing during the day when you're not really thinking about it? I'm so glad to took the plunge and joined us! PS...dare I tell you the deadline is April 17, not 30?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your designs. I'm not participating in the challenge, but I do have a design sketchbook that is filling up with interesting thoughts. I find I really enjoy choosing one block and stretching it in different directions. Have you worked that way at all? All of your designs seem so distinct and original.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your images are amazing! That dog is crying out to be paper pieced, and I'm dying to have the pattern. Keep designing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had some great designs? Are you having a 2018 New Quilt Bloggers Entry? Maybe it is posting later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love seeing your sketch book, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your designs! This year I started drawing my ideas out and it has helped me tremendously! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your sketch book, especially the graphic wolf and colors used. Looking forward to checking back to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy A: rangerer@sbcglobal.netMay 15, 2018 at 11:50 AM

    Love your dog design and would love to see that in fabric. Some of your other designs a good too. Good luck on meeting your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked looking at your sketchbook. I hope you didn't run out of ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think drawing helps you work out original designs. You will also find that once you start working it out digitally it will change significantly for practicality, but that is the process which makes it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You obviously put a lot of work into your designs and I hope you are able to translate them into quilts. Look forward to seeing more and maybe learning more about you through the New Bloggers Post.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have made some nice designs. Love the wolf!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool and to much stress for me.But on that note some people love the challenge. ...I cant find your wright up on the new quilters blog hop.But found tjis intresting read...ty for charing. .. happyness04431@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your designs are amazing!!! Your year of the dog is definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too like sketching out patterns first, but not sure I could get '30 in 30'! Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me messages. I have been replying to ya'll on the blog and I am pretty sure the blog doesn't send you the reply. I will be starting to reply from my gmail as of now. I look forward to chatting with you all soon. If you would rather send me an email I am at sarahsbusy@gmail.com