Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Quilting | I Had A Dream


I have a vision! I really want it to come to fruition. It is the darker side of me, the sinister side even.

First I need your help though. I can't decide chaos or order?  I have recently been intrigued by the  Milliefor La Passacaglia quilts. I am not sure if that is something I will ever be able to do or not. I do like the stack n whack technique where you layer prints and cut a multiple of the same print to create a kaleidoscope type design. I don't have too many scraps that can meet this criterion though. So I have a bit of a dilemma, this is the trick with scrappy thrift fabric.  Chaos or order?


I am trying to create a fabric for another element of the quilt. So the design created by the hexies will not be throughout the whole quilt but cover a large portion of it. I think that I like the order made by the hexies of the same size together. I may not have enough of the same size, because...



I hate wasting fabric, and I feel that the hexies and fussy cutting are wasting a lot. The problem just might be me being a noob with the cutting though. My solution... is to cut EVEry SiZe of hexies! (said while throwing my hands up in the air and crossing my eyes)... It may be a mistake...





I have been saving my black pieces which vary in size and values. Most of my fabric has been given to me from my mom's friend, pieces of clothing, sheets or sometimes scraps from Etsy.

The Story of the Angry German
Duvet covers offer a fantastic yardage for the price in thrift shops. Once I was scoping out fabric at a thrift store, and an Amish girl beside me was talking on her cellphone angrily in German.We had both checked out the same black duvet cover, but she was too distracted to be shopping, and the wonderful yardage became mine. * that made her even angrier though, so I got out of there faster than my automatic needle threader on three cups of coffee. ( not funny I know, I tried, I will work on it ) but seriously, I was kind of, a little bit scared.



I can't wait to share this vision that is taking place! This one is full of challenges, and I love the ride.

until next time: Stay challenged my friends

Sarah

Linked with

Needle and Thread ThursdaySew Fresh Quilts

13 comments:

  1. Well I don't think I can help you with your problem but I do like where this quilt is going. I am so impressed that you find great yardage in thrift shops...all I ever see is junk I can't use but maybe I don't go enough or need to learn to look closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, are you in a city? I find the smaller town thrift stores are harder to find a variety of material to work with. Have you read Blair Stocker? at wisecraft handmade? one of the first quilts in her book was made out of wool overcoats!! and it looks so delicious and comfy! she also uses denim in her quilts, granted that is still made out of cotton, but I think it is ok to get creative with the type of material used in the quilt. I think. I'm still new to all of this so I may encounter issues with washing and durability, but I don't think so. My quilts feel pretty sturdy so far and are wearing fine. Here is Blairs page http://wisecrafthandmade.com/blog/

      Delete
  2. I have never been able to find good fabric at thrift stores. I am jealous when I hear stories from others that have. As far as what I've seen so far on this quilt, it looks like it will be amazing. All of those hexies seem to bring both chaos and order. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will send you some thrift store luck, sometimes I dont find anything and sometimes I have to get creative in the material choice and be willing to take things apart to use the components. I will take apart satin dresses, cotton shirts, curtains, valences, shirts, skirts, table cloths, and ugly packs of crafting fabric. They are not all winners and I have to make rags for the DH in the garage or donate what I don't want to the local Re-use center.

      Delete
  3. I too like where this is going, but I underdstand about wasting fabric (sometimes it's worth it though for the look!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kaleidoscope and Le Pass look is so delicious isn't' it! Do you do any EPP?

      Delete
  4. Laughing and nodding my head about the angry Amish. They are peace-living, but why risk it? A78mandel at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. Maybe it the way words sound in German, my husband emphasizes in German when he is trying to amplify the interest in his opinion or story. lol (he grew up in a German speaking house)

      Delete
  5. I made a One Block Wonder, not a hexie but similar because it's stack n whack and uses repeats to make the pattern. You can make a great design by matching up three and three alike, either making them halves of the whole or alternating.
    Good luck with your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh! Good ideas Ann! Half hexies and an alternating pattern from a stack n' whack. Yep. I'm excited!

      Delete
  6. Quilting was my first textile love and even though I haven't quilted in awhile, I still love the creative process of color and pattern placement. Beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leigh! do you have any sheep on your 5 acres and a dream? By the way, I love following your blog adventures :)

      Delete
  7. Ooh.. yes, we all need to acknowledge our dark side....

    I also love the passagclia quilt (oops spelling).... but I am not buying the pattern yet. I think it needs fussy cutting to work really well. And this is not frugal fabric usage. There will be irregular remaining shapes in the fabrics used. And I think I need to have my fabric all arranged more neatly to start something like that.... not now, not yet. I have enough on my plate anyway!

    Enjoy your creating!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me messages. I have been replying to ya'll on the blog and I am pretty sure the blog doesn't send you the reply. I will be starting to reply from my gmail as of now. I look forward to chatting with you all soon. If you would rather send me an email I am at sarahsbusy@gmail.com