Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Quilting | Quilting Helps you Quit Smoking!

I have finished the Wild Child quilt top.The others wait their turn in various locations around the quilt room where I hide out from sheer terror. I sandwich, I thread the machine, and go.


I am holding my breath, trying to breath through this underlying sense of panic because I quit smoking last Thursday.  The uncertainty of a new to me quilt pattern is edging up that panic.

I pieced a backing for this wild child quilt top that I designed during mmmquilts 30 quilt design challenge. I wanted an all over design and thought an all over wood grain pattern would match the feel of this quilt.

I used Angela Walters video below to get started then I was off, focusing on trying to keep the lines the same distance apart, not bunching up the backing, and making the motif smooth.





I put my head down and focused! the next time I looked up was an hour later! yes! I beat it that time, now I wait for the next wave of withdrawal to come.

My husband and I quit smoking two years ago and took the habit back up when we were selling, renovating, buying, moving, getting married and honeymooning this summer. We were super stressed and it was the only way we knew how to cope with that much stress.


I spent the entire weekend in my sewing room avoiding my dear husband as we were both on edge and felt like picking on each other. I survived by having the quilting challenges to work with.

The all over wood grain is starting to come together and I think it just might turn out great.


Until next time, stay resolute!

Sarah

6 comments:

  1. Good for you Sarah! It may not be as hard this time as it was two years ago. But once you are past the cravings, it is very liberating. See you in December at the guild?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I am on Day 7 now! and am feeling a lot better! Thank you for your encouragement <3. I will be at rug hooking guild in December! Debs group is meeting tonight, I am going to try and go but not too sure if I will be able to make it.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!!!!!! This is a huge accomplishment! Best of luck in staying smoke free. Wood grain is a great quilting motif for this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is huge decision and a great one! I know you can totally do this and you will feel amazing afterwards. Woodgrain was a perfect choice for this quilt. Angela does a great job explaining this motif. I can't wait to see your quilt all finished and hearing more about your success with quitting. Quitting is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. גמילה ממריחואנה

    ReplyDelete
  5. בנרקונון אנחנו לא מאמינים שאדם חייב להישאר מכור לסמים לכל החיים. אנחנו לא מאמינים שהתמכרות היא מחלה חשוכת מרפא. אנחנו מאמינים שאפשר להשתפר.
    גמילה מקנאביס

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me messages. I have been replying to ya'll on the blog and I am pretty sure the blog doesn't send you the reply. I will be starting to reply from my gmail as of now. I look forward to chatting with you all soon. If you would rather send me an email I am at sarahsbusy@gmail.com